Thursday, September 3, 2009

Great dog Hachi

In 1923 Japan an Akita Inu (Great Japanese Dog) was raised by Dr. Ueno, a professor at Tokyo University. He always had a meal with his dog. The dog was named Hachi. Later the Dr. and his dog, Hachi, would walk to the train station every morning for his trip to the university. The dog would return when he arrived home at the station in the evening.

After a short while the dog would always be waiting for the train when the Dr. arrived. One day in May, 1925 Hachi went to wait at the station without knowing that Dr. Ueno had suffered a cerebral hemorrhage at the university and had passed away. It happened only one year and a few months after Dr. Ueno and Hachi met. Hachi continued to go to the train station every day at the same time to meet his master who never showed. The family gave the dog to another family eight kilometers from the train station. The dog continually broke away to run the eight kilometers to the station and wait for the train.

The permanent fixture at the train station attracted the attention of other commuters. They brought Hachi food and treats. Hachi eventually started living in the alley across from the station.

This continued for 10 years, with Hachi appearing only in the evening, precisely when the train was due at the station.

A student of Dr. Ueno noticed the dog and wrote a story about this remarkable Akita dog. It was found that only 30 purebred Akitas remained, including Hacki. Continued articles about this faithful dog led to an article published in Tokyo largest newspaper and Hachi became a national sensation.

In 1934 a bronze statue of Hachi was erected in front of the ticket office of the train station.. However in March of 1935, Hachi was found dead in the alley across from the station.

His faithfulness to his master impressed the people of Japan as a spirit of family loyalty. Teachers and parents used Hachi’s vigil as an example for children to follow.

Richard Gere is making a movie based on Hachi.

No comments:

Post a Comment